Southern Indiana Divorce & Family Court Attorneys - Goldberg Simpson
Make a key decision during your divorce or family court case in Southern Indiana
Screenshot 2015-03-07 01.19.23.png

Grandparent Rights & De Facto Custody in southern Indiana - Goldberg Simpson Attorneys

Although parents have a superior right to custody, experienced family law attorneys can help grandparents and other family members assert legal rights in certain situations.

Southern Indiana Grandparent & Family Rights Lawyers

Family law involves more than just the rights of parents.

An emerging part of family law addresses the rights of grandparents and other third parties (such as family members, i.e. uncles and aunts) in child custody and visitation cases. It also involves parents defending their ultimate right to custody against other family members who are involved in a family court dispute.

The attorneys at Goldberg Simpson offer strategic and experienced advocacy in this area, having represented both sides of the family seeking or defending against custody or visitation rights. These cases routinely involve custodial evaluators, guardian ad litem (GAL), and other experts that can help a family court judge what is in a child's best interests.

What are grandparents rights?

Grandparents rights involve grandparents asserting legal claims to custody or visitation to a grandchild. Grandparents may become involved if they are prevented from seeing their grandchildren or if they feel that a child's well-being is threatened by neglect, abuse, or drug or alcohol addiction. Many grandparents will pursue a case where a family dispute causes a parent to prevent the grandparent from seeing a grandchild.

Can I get visitation to see my grandchild?

In Indiana, visitation may be granted to grandparents if the court determines certain conditions are met and that such visitation is in the child's best interests. We will work with necessary professionals, interview witnesses and present all evidence needed to support your case to see your grandchildren. We will demonstrate to the court that it is in the best interests of the child to have contact and visitation with grandparents.

Can I get custody of my grandchild? What is de facto custody?

A grandparent who has been a primary caretaker of a child for a certain period of time (usually dependent on the age of the child and whether the grandparent or family member has been the primary caregiver and financial supporter) may be able to obtain the same rights as a regular parent. In other child custody and grandparents' rights cases, the court will consider the wishes of parents and children, the relationship between the child and parents, the child's adjustment to their home, school and community and the mental and physical condition of all persons involved. If you are seeking visitation or custody rights or you want to defend against the right of an intervening grandparent, please contact our office for an immediate consultation.

Contact our Southern Indiana grandparent rights lawyers by calling (812) 302-0539