Southern Indiana Divorce & Family Court Attorneys - Goldberg Simpson
Make a key decision during your divorce or family court case in Southern Indiana

Child Support

Goldberg Simpson can help you calculate or modify your Indiana child support obligation

Southern Indiana Child Support

Whether you are just entering the divorce or separation process, or are already involved in a custody dispute, you and your children's financial interests may be at stake.

Our family law attorneys at Goldberg Simpson offer experienced and strategic advocacy to protect our clients and their families in cases involving child support. We will take an aggressive and comprehensive approach to address your needs now and into the future.


How long do I have to pay child support in Indiana?

Indiana child support generally stops when a child turns nineteen (19) years old.

Up until 2012, Indiana was one of the few states that required payment of child support until age twenty-one (21). For this reason, if you were divorced or otherwise had a child support order put in place prior to 2013, you will want to check the specific language of your divorce agreement or support order as prior to 2012 an order may have included specific language that child support was to run until age 21. Because parties are generally free to contract outside of what the law requires, even though Indiana law lowered the age from 21 to 19, if your agreement or order specifically requires you to pay until the child is 21, you will want to consult with an attorney to determine your specific obligations.

Is there any way I may not have to pay child support anymore once my child graduates high school?

There are circumstances where child support may stop before a child turns 19. A child may be emancipated thereby allowing a parent to file a motion to terminate child support if:

  • the child gets married;

  • the child joins the United States military;

  • the child is no longer under the care of either parent or someone else that has custody or guardianship from a court; or

  • the child is 18 years old, has not gone to school for the past 4 months, and is supporting himself or is capable of supporting himself through employment.

If I believe that my child support should be modified or terminated, what should I do?

Child support orders can only be changed with a judge's signature through the court case. Whether this comes after an agreement you reach with your ex, or whether no agreement is possible and you have to file a motion to get relief, action must be taken at the time if you expect to receive any relief. 

An example that illustrates this point: a new client once came to us who was paying $200 per week for two (2) children. Those children at the time of our meeting were 24 and 18 years of age. This parent never took any action when his oldest child became an adult. He asked whether his child support automatically cut in half when his oldest child became emancipated. He did not understand that he should have filed a motion when his oldest child aged out of the system (if he could not get an agreement with the child's mother that could be approved by a judge). Many people end up overpaying for months or years in child support when they do not act promptly. 

Visit our Resources page to run updated child support worksheets to see whether the current amount of recommended support differs from what may be in your child support order.

Child support and your rights

When facing a divorce or if you are involved in a paternity dispute, it is important to consult with an attorney who can protect your interests involving child support. Whether you are seeking to collect child support, prevent unmanageable obligations or seek a modification to an existing child support order, we can explore your rights and options while protecting your rights.

The amount of time you spend with your child can affect the amount of child support you receive, or your child support obligation. Shared parenting schedules are common given the contributions that both parents make in many cases in today's society, so it is critical that you consult with an experienced family law attorney to be sure the financial arrangement fits your specific situation.


Although child support in Indiana is governed by guidelines, most parents would benefit from a sit down with a child support attorney who can help you navigate this area of the law.


Sending information via this form is NOT confidential and does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. Feel free to call us at (812) 302-0539 if you are interested in setting up a confidential consultation.