Your options for divorce education classes in southern Indiana
If you start the divorce process in southern Indiana, you will likely become familiar with the Transparenting Seminar. In divorce or separation cases (and even in paternity cases where the parents are not married) that involve minor children (children under the age of 18), it is mandatory for the parties to attend an approved parenting seminar or program.
Most attorneys will recommend that this requirement be satisfied as soon as possible, ideally during the 60 day waiting period for a divorce in Indiana. The most popular options are:
- Helping Hands Counseling Center Transparenting Seminar
- 525 East 7th Street, Jeffersonville, Indiana 47130, (Cost $55.00)
- The New Beginnings Program
- 400 East Spring Street, New Albany, Indiana 47150, Ext. 109 (Wendey Waggoner, MSW, CPP; Cost $15.00 for workbook)
- Our Place Drug & Alcohol Educations Services Inc. Divorce Parenting Classes / Families in Transition
- 400 East Spring Street, Jeffersonville, Indiana 47130, (812) 945-3400, www.ourplaceinc.org (Cost $25.00)
Registration is required for each of these programs. Attendance may be able to be waived if you have completed a similar program in the recent past or you are currently attending counseling that deals with similar issues. You should consult with your attorney about whether a motion to forego your attendance is appropriate.
However, if your work schedule doesn't permit you to attend these classes in person, or if an online option would be more convenient, local courts are beginning to accept certificates of completion from providers on the web. Below are a couple of options for you to discuss with your divorce lawyer: